Thursday, December 25, 2008

Digital Dreaming












So this is what I am working towards at the moment. All the exterior work is building towards this style sensitive addition on the back of the house. It's been interesting trying to figure out what would be most accurate. My best resource has been the Minnesota Historical Society library collection. They have an incredible number of historic home plan books. Many (most) of them are companies from MN... all of them were available to consumers in MN. So I went through them over and over and over. Finally came up with this (after the first plan went WAY over budget)

As most people will note, my house is more of a cottage and less of a bungalow... I know, false advertising or whatever. Bungalow is a reference to a one story style home from colonial India, with deep porches and low rooflines. But it seems to have expanded to include most 1 1/2 story homes built between a certain period. I have all of the same woodwork as my traditional bungalow neighbors (more of it actually).

Anyway, I may have to change the name of the blog once the new gable goes up since I will lose the big plane of the roof.. and really look more like a 'cottage'.
Oh well, it'll be nice either way.

The second pic is the interior layout. I'm trying to keep the plan very honest, functional and open. The upstairs is so light and spacious I didn't want to try to cram in a bathtub. Besides I have the original, deep, cast iron tub on the first floor.

So picture white hex tile on the floor with a border and baseboard of white marble. Subway tile wainscot and light painted plaster. I think the woodwork will end up painted white like the rest of the second floor (it's not oak up there, so don't worry). Chrome fixtures and wall sconces on either side of the sink area.

The medicine cabinet will be on the wall between the toilet nook and the main sink area. Over the sink we will use an accordion style swing arm mirror. Lord knows that we need a couple of window for light up there!

So keep an eye out for updates. This project should be progressing steadily through January!

3 comments:

Josh said...

I like your plan. It looks very appropriate from the outside and bathroom layout is practical and comfortable, but not excessive.

Manna said...

Good job. I like this. When you get ready to look at tile go to www.mosaictilesupplies.com. They should have some period appropriate products for you to work with.

Garden Monkey said...

Manna,

Thanks for the idea! I see that they have the ultimate bungalow tile http://www.mosaictilesupplies.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2891&HS=1
I may actually end up making most of my tile myself, at least the decorative stuff.( www.laughingwatertile.com ) But that's a pretty big project so I'm sure I will try a couple options :)